Dirty windows can eclipse the beauty of most magnificent sceneries. An unclean window may even be the reason for shame among your guests and neighbours. A layer of stain also prevents the passage of light inside the room. Hence, it is essential to keep the windows spotless. It improves your visibility, enhances the décor and welcomes the natural light into your room. It is not easy to clean all types of spots from the windowpane. The hard-water spots are hardest to clean. You often cannot remove these spots using conventional cleaning solutions. To remove hard-water stains, you need to use special tools and cleansers.
The Reason Behind Hard-Water Stains
It may not be possible to wipe the rainwater off the windows every time and raindrops can cause hard-water stains after drying on the windowpanes. Also, concrete walkways may also be responsible for hard-water stains. The concrete has lime in it and this lime may bounce up due to the rain falling, landing on windowpanes and leading to hard-water stains. Additionally, the iron-filled water dripping from the metal fly-screen or eaves trough may also cause hard-water staining.
Stain Removal Processes
Judging resistance of hard-water stains by appearance won’t help. Some stains are harder to remove in comparison to others despite the lighter appearance. You may remove these stains in two different processes. You may use a homemade solution of water and vinegar. You may even use a gentle cleaning solution that is suitable for the removal of hard-water stains.
Cleaning with Homemade Solution
Mix water and vinegar in a ratio of 1:2 to remove the hard-water stains.
- You may soak a coarse towel in this solution and smear the hard-water spots with this solution. You may let the solution sit for a minute or two. The acid of vinegar softens the minerals present in hard-water and makes it easier for you to remove the stains.
- You may use the coarse towel to rub onto the spots until the stains disappear. It may take a little while to completely remove the spots. You may need to repeat the process twice/thrice. You may rub onto the stains in circular or linear strokes.
- It is crucial to wipe the windows dry immediately after removing the spots. It can prevent any chance of future spotting.
Stain Removal using Commercial Cleansers
Stubborn hard-water spots may need something stronger than the homemade water and vinegar solution. In this scenario, you may need a commercial remover for the hard-water stains. The chemical inside the hard-water stain removers may not damage the windowpanes. These chemicals may damage the tiles or metal present near the windows. Hence, cover these areas before applying cleanser on the windowpanes.
Essential Tools for Cleaning
You may need some special tools when cleaning the hard-water stains using commercial cleansers. You may use a pair of cleaning gloves to save hands from chemical damage. A soft scouring pad is essential to clean the spots without scratching the glass surface. It is prudent to include a squeegee and washer in the list of necessary cleaning tools. A clean cloth is essential to wipe off the water after finishing the cleaning process.
- Apply the stain remover onto a clean surface. Thus, spotlessly clean the windowpanes before applying the stain removal.
- You may use the squeegee and the washer to scrape off debris from the glass surface.
- Mix the stain remover with water. You may dab this thin paste on the spots using a scrubber.
- You may use the scrubbing pad to rub on the hard-water stains for at least 3-4 minutes. You may clean the paste in between rubbing to check the improvement and may continue the process accordingly.
- It is essential to wash off the solution immediately after the removal of stains. It is hard to remove this solution once it becomes dry. You may use the washer and a squeegee to remove the solution.
- You may use a soft cloth to dry the window and prevent any staining due to the remaining water.
It is not easy for a homeowner to remove the hard-water stains with chemical solutions and scouring pads alone. You may damage a lovely windowpane with the pressure at the time of rubbing. A wrong scrubbing pad may also damage the windowpanes. It may have an extremely coarse texture unsuitable for the silica-based surface. Hence, you may want to call on professional Toronto window cleaners if you find the task cumbersome or cannot remove the hard-water stains with homemade solutions. Since window-cleaning professionals have knowledge and skills about perfect cleaning solutions and scrubbing tools, your windowpanes will get a spotless and shiny makeover without damage, easily and quickly.