Our rainy season is just around the corner and it is time to think about getting your gutters cleaned. Rainy season is one of the most critical seasons and can destroy your home’s foundation if your gutters are not functional. A clogged gutter can cause problems ranging from basement flooding, cracked roofs, destroyed landscape, and eroded topsoil, to damage to your properties foundation and much more. Keeping a clean and unclogged gutter will ensure an uninterrupted redirecting of the rainwater from your roof and help you avoid such extreme problems.
You need to take care of the gutters before the rainy season arrives, hire otherwise hire a gutter cleaning company. You do not want to climb up there in the middle of the rain and risk falling down and hurting yourself. Before you think about the cleaning, you will need to gather all the right tools.
Some important tools you will need
- A sturdy ladder- Make sure you have a strong and sturdy ladder handy as you will need to reach your roof and clean the gutters. Getting a ladder with a small shelf is better as you will place a bucket to hold all the debris you collect.
- A garden hose – You will need a garden hose with a spray nozzle to adjust the water pressure and wash off the dirt and dust stored up there.
- A gutter scoop – Gutter scoops are light, thin, and easy to use. You will need them to collect even the most stubborn and tough debris from your gutters. You can buy a gutter scoop from any hardware store.
- Heavy-duty gloves – You do not know the things you will find there and need to keep your hands protected. Get a heavy-duty glove on before starting the cleaning process.
- A scrubbing brush – Keep a scrubbing brush handy in case your gutter has stubborn debris attached to its sides. A scrubbing brush will help you get your gutters squeaky clean.
- The right attire – Having proper safety protection is important. Wear rubber shoes to avoid slipping from the ladder. Make sure you wear long sleeved clothes and have protective glasses on in case you met with unwelcome guests such as rats or squirrels living there.
Cleanse your gutters
If the forecast is calling for heavy rain or a hurricane, there is no time to waste. You need to clean your gutter before the calamities arrive as the unclogged gutter cannot handle the continuous flow of water and will overflow.
Once you have gathered all your tools and equipment, get ready with the gloves, protective glasses, and the right shoes. You must use the ladder to reach out to your gutter and scoop out as much waste as you can. You might also want to sweep of any leaves or waste that might lie on your roof and can later fall into the gutters.
Be careful in case there are any animals or birds living there. There can be bird nests or animals like rats, squirrels, lizards, and more living in the unlogged debris. Make sure to remove them safely before scooping out the debris from the gutters.
Once you have scooped out the leaves and other debris stored there, you will need to wash off the dirt and dust that cannot be scooped. Use the garden hose to wash it off for a clean and functional gutter. You will also need to ensure that the drainage system is clear so that the rainwater can pass through uninterrupted.
Check the downspouts
Once you have cleaned the gutters, you will need to clear the downspouts too. If your downspout is blocked, all your work will be for nothing and the rainwater will overflow to your exterior walls and even seep through your roof.
Firstly, you will need to check whether the downspout is heavily clogged or not. Run your water hose down the downspout at high pressure. If the water keeps flowing uninterrupted, your downspout is clean and does not need any special attention. But if the water comes back up, there is a clog that needs to be cleaned.
Generally, you can tap the sides of the downspout to unclog the blockage. But if that does not work, you will need to remove the downspout and the back before flushing it out from the bottom.
You will also need to inspect your power cables and make sure that they have not fallen into the gutter. Make sure everything is securely fastened and there is nothing loose that can wash in the rain and the storm.
While cleaning your gutter is not that hard, it can be time-consuming. If you do not want to spend your time and effort on cleaning your gutters, you can always hire a reliable gutter cleaning service to do the job.