Would you like to safeguard your beautiful home during the rainy seasons? Rainwater can spoil your doors, windows, basement and more. The problem we’re talking about has to do with clogged gutters. The solution is to simply clean them before the rainy season begins or after the leaves have fallen. Free your gutter from all the accumulated leaves, garbage etc. This will allow all the rainwater to pass through. Otherwise, the water will overflow and ruin your lovely house.
Gutter clean-up needs to be done properly. Check out the stuff you need to clear out your gutter. There are also a few clean-up tips & maintenance tricks listed below to make your task easier.
Equipment you’ll need:
- A quality ladder – It should be strong enough to take your weight & doesn’t move while at work.
- Cleaning equipment – There are many gutter cleaning gears available in the market. For instance, some tools blow off the dry leaves, there are lightweight tools to pick up the debris, & you can also buy the ones having an adjustable fork to pull out the trash. Some of the cleaners come with a mirror attached to the tool for a better view. Choose as per your preference & budget.
- Gloves – You need to protect your hands from infectious and dirty trash. Dishwashing gloves can come in handy here.
- Eyewear – Saving your eyes is a must. Even wearing shades while cleaning can help.
- Disposable bags – To collect the debris.
Critical Gutter Cleaning Tips
Here are a few quick tips to make sure that your gutter cleaning job is completed properly.
Tip 1: Check the roof. If the roof has leaves or dirt then sweep them to the gutter. This is to ensure that after cleaning is finished, the leftover garbage on the roof doesn’t block the gutter again.
Tip 2: In case you are using a gutter scooping tool, begin away from the gutter’s lower part which is the drain’s exit point.
Tip 3: Try to set your gutter cleaning day when the debris is damn. Avoid super wet or completely dry debris. The reasons being that soaked up debris is heavy and hard to clean. They get stuck and will take all your energy to finish clean-up. Totally dry debris is easy to clean with the gutter blower system but it spreads the leaves and everything else all over the place.
Tip 4: Place the disposable bag inside a bucket. Hang the bucket in your ladder. Put all the semi-wet debris in that bucket. This will save you the extra labour of cleaning the floor afterward.
Tip 5: Before the monsoon season, it is a good idea to give trees a trim. Especially, those trees that are quite close to the house and have branches extending over the roof. This will aid you in avoiding all the dry leaves from falling on the roof & the gutter.
Gutter Maintenance Tips
Here are a few tips to help make sure your gutter is working optimally.
- Slope Correction
The gutters are installed with a certain slope to assist the rain waters to flow throw them and go out easily. Owing to strong winds or bulk debris accumulation, the slope might need fixing. Test your gutter slope by pouring a bottle of water through it. The places in the gutter where the water collects, where it stops, or has difficulty flowing will need to be adjusted to allow for free flow of water. Remember, at every 10 feet distance, there should be a 0.25-inch gutter slope.
- Leakage Fix
In due course of time, the gutter tends to leak through holes & seam having broken chalking. This needs to be fixed immediately to stop the rain water from leaking through the opening and rotting the wooden boards. To repair the area you need to-
- First, clean out the existing chalking using a chisel.
- Next step is to dry out the spot.
- Finally, seal the place with fresh bead silicon.
- Water Expulsion
Rainwater needs to fall away from your home to protect from damage during the rainy season. You can do so in 2 ways:-
- Downspout Extenders: Attaching them will aid in the water to fall off at a distance away from your home. Thereby, saving your home from water being spilled after dropping in the gutter outlet.
- Plastic splash blocks: They are a good option too. As the term suggests, it will save from unwanted water splashes as they provide an extra 4 feet extension to the gutter outlet.
It is a great move to apply a fresh coat of paint to your old rusty gutters at regular intervals. Do so only after cleaning out the rust.
Cleaning gutters and maintaining them religiously is essential. The gutters protect the house from rainwater damage as well as health ailments. All the filth getting stacked up in the gutters lead to bacteria & mould development attracting all kinds of pests. So, a little bit of labour can save you, your family and your home. If the gutter cleaning seems a tedious task for you, then call professional gutter cleaning services to take care of all these steps and more for you.